Sutton's Corporate Parenting Strategy 2015-2018
- This is the pledge that we make for young people in our care.
- We will make sure you get the help you need when you need it and give you the information you need to make the right decisions.
- We will create clear plans for care, education, health and wellbeing to meet your needs.
- We will make sure you will have the opportunity to talk to your social worker alone every time he/she visits you.
- We will ensure that you are involved in decisions that affect you and your life, listen to your views and respect your choice. We want you to tell us when you meet us whether we are keeping our promises.
- We will make sure every Sutton school has a person who works with children who are looked after to help and support them achieve educationally. For young people out of borough, to ensure they have a contact from Sutton who can support them in their education.
- We will give you the support you need to have contact with family and friends, including covering travel costs where necessary if they live far away.
- We will support you to gain training opportunities, further and higher education and employment.
- We aim to be the best as parents, provide you with a safe and comfortable place to live and to make your experience of being looked after a positive one.
- We will have expectations of you as well and we will make these clear to you.
- We will only promise you things that we know we can do.
- We will celebrate and promote your achievements with you as well as any contributions that you make to the community, including marking your birthday, religious festivals and educational attainments.
- We will respect you as an individual, make sure you are treated fairly, make sure that you know your rights and they are adhered to as set out in relevant legislation, regulations and guidance and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
- We will give you support and guidance with developing life skills so that you can manage your life effectively.
- We will also ensure you receive your London Borough of Sutton Pledge entitlements, wherever you live.
- Any failure on the part of the Council to deliver this will be promptly resolved.
Corporate parenting means the responsibility of the council and its partners to provide the best care and protection for children and young people who are in public care.
This strategy sets out Sutton’s commitment to its children and young people and the key priorities to maintain and improve services.