Independent Housing

There are many types of independent housing but usually independent housing means that you have signed a tenancy or license agreement and as such are responsible for paying rent, being a good neighbour and keeping the accommodation clean and in good repair.

Your Personal Adviser or Social Worker will speak with you about moving to independent accommodation and together you will decide when this is right for you. Your Personal Adviser or Social Worker may ask for some evidence - such as proof that you’ve paid all your bills and can manage all of your appointments. They will also need to see that you have been a good neighbour by not creating too much noise or inviting a lot of friends over. They will also want to know that you can keep yourself safe and know how to respond to an emergency.

You may choose to move into private rented accommodation or ask to be put on the housing register. Care Leavers in Sutton do go into the priority needs category for social housing in the borough. Once you and your Personal Adviser or Social Worker agree you are ready you can be nominated.

You are entitled to £2000 Setting Up Home Allowance when you move to your permanent property.