Important Documents

National Insurance Number, Passport, Driving Licence

Your Social Worker will help you to apply for your National Insurance Number as soon as you are old enough. You Should have this before your 16th birthday. Sutton will help you to ensure you have photographic identification, which you will need to access services. We will support you with either your passport or provisional driving license.

Birth Certificate, British Citizenship

The Leaving Care Team Office has facilities to securely store your birth certificate if you’d like us to keep if safe for you. If you don’t have one we can support you to get a birth certificate.


 If you don’t have citizenship in the UK you can speak to your Social Worker or Personal Advisor about what support you can get to apply for Naturalization. This is a long and complicated process and you will usually need to speak to an immigration solicitor.